Saturday, June 20, 2009

Vision Quest Part II

Today we woke up and went to Krofodia, the eastern region capital, and met a couple of Marcus’ friends (other PC volunteers in the area). Before we left for krofodia we went to the Acca Falls which is a beautiful waterfall. You have to hike back a mile to get to the waterfall but the hike is just as beautiful as the waterfall. In Krofodia we eat lunch, go to the largest bead market in Ghana, and go to an internet cafĂ©. We meet up with Travis and head off to his place and his place is stunning compared to Marcus’ place. Travis has 4 large rooms and 2 large balconies.
The next day Travis takes us to the school in his town and I sit in on a math class. Class is just like an american classroom but without all the technology. After class we hangout with a couple of the teachers, most of them are recent college graduates. They are very easy going and I had a fun time talking to them.
This is my last full day of vision quest. Travis took us to his farm and then we came back and played cards and relaxed. The next day we left his place around 1 to get to our new training site. Overall, the vision quest gave me a decent view of what it is like to be out on your own. Although, I hear each person’s experience is different and unique. At our new site, in kukarantume, I have my own room. Somehow I managed to get the suite at the hotel. I have a king size bed, fridge, tv, my own bathroom, and air conditioning. I will be here for 5 days and I also found out 2 more people left the Peace Corps from my group. We are now down to 64

No comments:

Post a Comment